Optimizing growth through feed efficiency help in making the animals attaining market size faster with a low cost of production. Factor that must be considered to achieve these are-
- Feed Material Procurement- high moisture content of products such as maize, maize bran, wheat bran, corn offals can lead to mould development which can also increase afflatoxin in the feed. Foreign objects like stones, soil, metals and others can lead to digestive problems when consumed. High fat product like palm kernel cake (PKC) should not be stored for long period of time because it can go rancid and can lead to digestive problems.
- Feed Mixing- a right formulation that will contain the proportionate amount of ingredients like mineral premix, energy, fibre and protein. Feed samples must be frequently analysed and to avoid reformulation of feed ensure there is no stock out.
- Accurate Measurement- it is essential to weigh raw materials accurately to give a complete ration consistently, daily consumption per pen should be monitored to correctly managed and ensure optimal feed intake. The feed should be made fresh at all times.
- Clean Water Source- water must be clean , cool and free from contamination. The water should be tested , analysed and treated if need be.
Protein- 12.5 – 14%
This depends on age and size of the birds.
- 88% Dry Matter
- Metabolizable Energy: 10-12 MJ (Mega Joules)
- Total Digestible Nutrients (TDN)- 700g/Kg
Other Vital Ingredients
Vitamins /Trace Minerals
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B1- useful forcarbohydrate metabolism
- Copper, Zinc, Magnesium, Iodine, Cobalt, Selenium.
- 0.4% = 4g/kg
- It is important for metabolism of carbohydrate